Thursday, July 18, 2013

*Sigh*

I didn't realize I hadn't posted here since May. Lots going on. But mostly I came to bitch and whine about the company I do work for. On June 21, I sent an invoice for the end of a project. It was worth $1300-. On July 12th, I was looking for the email with the invoice to determine what date I had sent it, and should I start looking for a check. I found the email, but nothing was attached!! (I later found a second email with the invoice attached.) So I emailed the owner of the company who told me, "I'm just doing invoicing today (July 16)."

Huh?

Turns out, the owner's computer had died and had been in the shop for three weeks, and they had been unable to retrieve any email. Despite having an iPad, an iPhone, a Kindle, a Nook, and a netbook. I don't get it either. If your computer died, wouldn't you let your employees and friends know that you're unreachable, and anything important they sent they need to re-send? These same owners also like to go out of town or vacation or otherwise out of touch but never tell us in advance.

So my invoice was just billed on Tuesday. July 16. Almost a month later. Uh...yeah.

Also, just found out the company had a contest with the winner getting editing, e-conversion, and print layout for free. No, no one told me. The contest was held in Texas by another one of our contractor's (like me). Huh. And one of my big clients with this company, was complaining to me about the poor communication taking place at the organization. Uh, yeah. He wants me to keep doing work for him, but I have a non-compete contract right now. It expires in January. We'll see how it goes.

Then....a new client a friend brought to me--so I want to make a good impression, right?--I've been pestering the owner for a contract for this guy for over six weeks. Probably more like eight. In addition to the six weeks we made the client, who is in his 80s!, wait for a decision as to whether or not we would accept his project. A month for the first publisher who then told me the second also need to approve it (since when?). Another three more weeks. The poor guy. What the fuck?

The client is so pissed, he wants me to handle it and not go through this other company who I am contracted with. I honestly can't blame him.

This happened at the same time as my husband's state un employ ment claim was halted while they wait to interview him some time next week. No warning. So we have $0- money right now. We got some food at a food bank and a church last week, or we'd be eating canned corn and tomato puree. Seriously. Is there ever a bad time to have your money fucked up? But when we're both fucked up at the same time? It's just not good.

So. I took an opionion poll of smart people who I trust, and I think in 2014, providing I meet some milestones, I am going to start my own business. I cannot rely on such unstable, badly managed business practices. I know it's not done with malice, but simply by an overwhelming amount of work, but it doesn't work for me. I'll continue working for this company, but my plan is to have my primary income come from my clients. It's time.

I'll be back after it cools off. Yuck. Hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment